Error: "Missing Connecticut CTPL record: Since Connecticut (CT) State Withholding is configured as a tax item, a Connecticut (CT) local tax item linked to CT Paid Family Leave (CTPL) is also required. Avoid agency rejections by adding the Local Tax item now. The Connecticut Department of Revenue requires reporting of Paid Leave in Box 14 of the Form W-2, labeled as CTPL to be processed properly."
- CT Paid Family Leave has not been set up
- CT Paid Family Leave has been set up, but is not assigned to the appropriate tax field
- Need to assign CT Paid Family Leave to a payroll tax field
If a Connecticut Paid Family Leave field has been set up and you have been taking it out of payroll, then most likely the field just needs to be assigned to the correct tax field.
- Close the W-2 preparer.
- Go to Maintain, Payroll, Payroll Settings.
- Select Taxes, Assign Tax Fields.
- Select Employee-Paid State Taxes.
- In Paid Family Leave select your CT paid family leave field and click OK.
- Click Finish to close the Payroll Settings window.
- Process the W-2 again.
Section 2: If CT Paid Family Leave has not been set up
Note: New Connecticut companies set up in Sage 50 2021 or 2022 will have the CT PFL field already set up. Pre-existing companies will have to have the field set up manually. Refer to Connecticut paid family leave setup.
- Click OK to the message.
- In Local Tax Items click Add.
- In State select CT (Connecticut).
- In Tax name select Paid Family Leave.
- Click OK.
Note: Unless you have taken out CT PFL and also assigned it to an employee-paid tax field in Payroll Settings, the CTPL column on the W-2 will be blank. The amounts can be entered manually on the W-2. Please review Connecticut paid family leave setup to ensure you are having the amount taken out of payroll as needed going forward.