Skip to content
logo Knowledgebase

How do I issue checks for a prior year after I have updated taxes?

Created on  | Last modified on 


Sage Paperless can store your company check stubs in a secure database. Eliminating the need to void and reissue checks to reprint them from the prior year. Contact your Sage Business Partner or our Sales team for more information! 1-800-858-7095 or [email protected]



CAUTION: This solution requires advanced knowledge of your network. Contact your system administrator for assistance. Modifying Windows security incorrectly can severely affect system operations. Sage is not responsible for operation issues caused by incorrectly modifying your Windows security. Always create a backup of your data before proceeding with advanced solutions. 


  • Read and review all instructions before beginning this process. You may need to work with a tax consultant to determine which pay, tax, deduction, and fringe amounts need to appear on the check.
  • This solution applies to you if the Payroll year you need to print checks for is closed and taxes have been updated for the new year.
  • When you print checks for a year that is closed and new taxes have been updated, the checks process with the taxes, rates, limits, and Year to Date totals for the new year. To process and print a check as though it were issued last year, you must restore last year's taxes, manually change the amounts on the check before you print it, and then recalculate subject-to.

To issue a check for a prior year, complete the following:

  1. Verify that you have a current backup of your data folder. For instructions on how to make a backup, see How do I use File Tools to back up data files?.
  2. Note down the location of your Tax file in File, Company Settings, File Locations, and PR Tax.
  3. Restore your prior year tax file. For instructions, see How do I restore my Payroll taxes after using the Download Taxes feature in Payroll?. Use option A to restore your tax file from a back up.
  4. Use Enter Checks to enter the check for last year. For instructions on how to use Enter Checks, select the link below. Note: You will receive warning messages while recording checks to the prior year, press Ok or Yes to continue.
    1. Enter and process the check.
    2. Change any pay, tax, deduction, or fringe amounts as needed.
    3. Process the check, then click Check Info and verify the totals.
    4. Click OK, Accept Check, then Finish.
  5. Print the check with a Check Date in the previous year.
    Note: You will receive warning messages while recording checks to the prior year, press Ok or Yes to continue.
  6. Post the check.
  7. Recalculate subject-to for the prior year. To recalculate amounts for specific employees, use Ranges. For instructions on how to recalculate subject-to and use ranges for the prior year, select the link below.
  8. Verify the appropriate employees' totals and print reports as necessary.
  9. Restore your original tax file location in File, Company Settings, File Locations, PR Tax box. Important Note: If you skip this step you will be using the old tax rates going forward.

Chat with support

Related Solutions

How do I rename a file using File Tools?
How do I issue Payroll checks for a prior year if I have not updated taxes?
How do I use Enter Checks in Payroll?
How do I recalculate subject-to amounts for prior year totals?
How do I verify the location of my Payroll tax file?
´╗┐How do I void and reprint a Payroll check for the current period, prior year or prior period without using Payroll?